Idiom for running compiled python scripts?

Paul Rudin paul.rudin at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 25 04:30:52 EDT 2007

Mark <mark at mailinator.com> writes:

> Of course I realise the modern mantra that "premature optimisation is
> the root of all evil" but I don't subscribe to it. Programmers have been
> "encouraged" to not give a toss about efficiency and the outcome is all
> too apparent - most software today looks and runs like a pile of crap.

Many people write code that is very obviously "wrong". But that
doesn't mean that labouring for hours over minor speed-ups is actually
worthwile for people who don't, as a rule, do gratuitously "wrong"
stuff in the first place.

There is, of course, a trade-off between programmer time and run
time. It's hard to know where the correct balance lies for each
particular program.