Idiom for running compiled python scripts?

Mark mark at mailinator.com
Sun Mar 25 03:10:23 EDT 2007

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:40:33 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Because this is entirely a trivial saving. Who cares? Sheesh.
> Saving 18ms on a script that takes 50ms to execute *might* be
> worthwhile, ...

I don't understand your attitude. Sure, we are talking slight savings in
machine efficiency but I am sure the python developers have laboured
many long hours on subtle optimisations of the virtual machine, many of
which probably dwarf the issue discussed here. Tell them their work is
trivial and unnecessary. Every little bit helps. Why do I concern myself
with this inefficiency - because it is there.

Of course I realise the modern mantra that "premature optimisation is
the root of all evil" but I don't subscribe to it. Programmers have been
"encouraged" to not give a toss about efficiency and the outcome is all
too apparent - most software today looks and runs like a pile of crap.