why brackets & commas in func calls can't be ommited? (maybe it could be PEP?)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Mar 21 12:34:16 EDT 2007

Bart Ogryczak wrote:
> On Mar 21, 3:38 pm, "dmitrey" <open... at ukr.net> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I looked to the PEPs & didn't find a proposition to remove brackets &
>> commas for to make Python func call syntax caml- or tcl- like: instead
>> of
>> result = myfun(param1, myfun2(param5, param8), param3)
>> just make possible using
>> result =  myfun param1 (myfun2 param5 param8) param3
>
> How would you write "a = b(c())"?
>
> In my opinion it'll make code extremely obfuscaded. The great thing
> about Python, when comparing with eg. Perl or C, is that code is
> readable, even if written by experienced hacker.

Yes, but let's not forget that we are in half-baked idea territory here.

The fact that dmitrey didn't twig that the absence of such a proposal
was likely for good reasons implies either an intellectual arrogance
beyond that of most mere mortals or a goodly dollop of ignorance.

Maybe we could omit the leading whitespace as well?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden