python QT or python-GTK

Alan Franzoni alan.franzoni_invalid at geemail.invalid
Sun Mar 18 20:17:39 EDT 2007

Il Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:55:47 -1000, Jon Van DeVries ha scritto:

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a newbie.

Please understand then, that both QT and GTK+ are graphic toolkits. An IDE
is a totally different thing.

Also, please understand that Qt3 and Qt4 exist, and they're quite different
beasts. Qt4 is fairly new.

Qt is GPL or commercial, while GTK+ is LGPL. That means: if you want to use
QT, you must either distribute your app under the GPL, or buy the
commercial license, while you don't have this limit in GTK+.

Both are cross-platform, but you should check for their actual visual
performance wherever they should be employed. Also, GTK+ seems to still
need an X server on macosx (don't know about QT)

Both have IDEs to create GUIs; take a look at Glade or Gazpacho for GTK+.

Also, remember GTK+ is a community project while QT is a fully commercial
project.

--
Alan Franzoni <alan.franzoni.xyz at gmail.com>
-