python QT or python-GTK

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Wed Mar 21 15:28:06 EDT 2007

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:55:47 -1000, "Jon Van DeVries"
> <j23212 at hotmail.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>
>> ** All the posts found in google are old.  I'm assuming new improvements
>> have been made to both IDEs. **
>>
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a newbie.
>>
>> 1. Which one of them requires fewer lines to accomplish the same thing?
>> from what I understand QT it's just like Borland J-Builder. Meaning, you
>> want a button, you draw it, then you double-click on it, a window opens
>> up and you type events and behavior. And with GTK, you just type
>> everything.
>>
> For the most part, none of the GUI TOOLKITS (not IDEs) includes a
> drag&drop GUI BUILDER. Toolkits are libraries defining an API (in the
> case of Python to an underlying toolkit... wxPython is the Python
> front-end to wxWidgets). For all the toolkits, the basic operation is
> "just type everything" -- an intermediate mode is where one manipulates
> a configuration file that gets loaded at run-time, and which one
> registers handlers against (my largest GUI application was 15 years ago,
> emulating a Ramtek graphics engine using DECWindows -- it had
> multi-thousand lines of config file in xt; the config file was nearly as
> long as the C code that used it).

I'm not sure if you're referring to something else, or aren't aware of Qt
Designer.  You can design your GUI's in the designer, run py-uic (comes
with PyQt) and you have python code for your GUI.  You then load that up,
and do your custom slot connections at run time.  You can also take the XML
files generated by Qt Designer and load and render them at runtime too.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE