PythonCard thoughts

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Mar 19 13:57:15 EDT 2007

king kikapu wrote:
>> I don't know much about PythonCard or wxGlade, but I use wxPython (which
>> wxGlade uses, right?) and you now have the option to separate your GUI
>> and code using an XRC file (xml file that describes layout). So perhaps
>> this is something you can do with wxGlade, but at the same time it might
>> still create the problem you describe above. However, it's very to have
>> your Python files contain just logic.
>
> Yes, both products (PythonCard and wxGlade) uses wxPython. It's just
> that PythonCard is sitting on top of wxPython and it intercepts the
> events generated. Then it search for an appropriate declared function
> on your code and call it (all this happens at runtime).
> It shield us from much of the boilerplate code that gui toolkits
> require and in the case that you need to address directly wxPython,
> you just can!
>
> I discovered that when you run your designed GUI from PythonCard's
> layoutEditor, you have the ability to define a command line option
> that is called
> "Message Watcher". This, will show you the names of the actual events
> that you have to write code for, so you, at least for this, do not
> have
> to dig the docs for their names. Pretty good!

The only real problem is that PythonCard appears to have run out of
development steam. I don't think there's been much^H^H^H^H any work on
it in the past year or two. This is a shame, as it showed considerable
promise.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden