Problem with time

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 22 14:49:50 EDT 2007

ian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a problem with time in python.
>
> 1) i got 2 values from mysql db (fields are "time" type)
> 2) python get it as "<type 'datetime.timedelta'>" (why timedelta???)

timedelta because a time doesn't represent a fixed point until it's
associated with a date, I presume.

> 3) i need to compare 2 fields with actual time ... EG:
> if ArrOutputsAuto[i].TimeFrom >= GNow and ArrOutputsAuto[i].TimeTo <= GNow:
>
> i need actual time, and 2 fields from DB in datetime.time type (correct me
> if i'm wrong) so i can do my test "if time>= ..."
>
> I think i can grab time from DB in string and parse it in
> datetime.time(x,x,x) but its not very optimized
>
> Any idea ?

Presumably the datetime.timedelta object comes back from the database
with days=0? In which case try something like

import time
import datetime

dbtd = <timedelta from database>
h, m, s = time.localtime()[3:6]
timenow = s + (60 * (m + 60 * h))

Then compare timenow with dbtd.seconds.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden