Google breaks international charset messages (was: Internationalised email subjects)

Evan Klitzke evan at yelp.com
Thu Jun 21 22:40:30 EDT 2007

On 6/21/07, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> bugmagnet at gmail.com writes:
>
> > Seems some characters are missing from my last post.  The line that
> > says:
> >
> > h = Header('  ', 'GB2312')
> >
> > should say:
> >
> > h = Header('  ', 'GB2312')
>
> Your message has this field in the header:

> which is why the non-ASCII characters don't appear. This is the fault
> of Google's charset munging.
>
> Please, people who use Google for mail and Usenet, kick them until
> they present "utf-8" as the default encoding, instead of downgrading
> to "us-ascii".

Ironically, you're sending out us-ascii encoded emails as well. Like
it or not, 7-bit ASCII is the standard for SMTP, so it's a reasonable
default character encoding to send MIME encoded messages in -- and
it's trivial to change the outgoing character set to UTF-8 in
Gmail/Google Apps.

--
Evan Klitzke <evan at yelp.com>