Python and (n)curses

pinkfloydhomer at gmail.com pinkfloydhomer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 07:26:02 EDT 2007

On Jun 19, 9:04 am, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-s... at benfinney.id.au>
wrote:

> More precisely, curses doesn't work natively on Windows, regardless of
> whether Python is involved.

True. But then: are there other multi-platform console libraries out
there? I want to code to a single API.

> As with many "how do I get Unix feature foo on Windows?", one answer
> is to download and install Cygwin <URL:http://www.cygwin.com/>. This
> gives you a Unix-like environment where you can run a great many
> applications, including ones that depend on curses.

Yes, but will I be able to easily distribute my finished application?

> For working with curses in Python you might find the Urwid library
> helpful. <URL:http://excess.org/urwid/>

Thanks.

Just to be more precise: curses is not a requirement, a multi-platform
console library with a single API is. So are there alternatives to
curses? Python-only or not.

And as "peter" mentions, Python _could_ have such a library,
abstracting away the implementation details of the particular
platform. Can't see why that would be hard at all.

/David