PATH or PYTHONPATH under Windows ???

stef s.mientki at id.umcn.nl
Wed Jun 6 10:03:24 EDT 2007

Giuseppe Di Martino wrote:
> Il Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:01:13 +0200, stef ha scritto:
>

>> I ran your program but it didn't solve the problem (running Python,
>> embedded in Delphi).
>> I'm beginning to get the feeling that Python installation is a very
>> complex case.
>> Anyway thanks.
>>

> In the original post you don't mention "embedded in Delphi" !
> This is a different thing, the problem is that your Delphi's app relies on
> a Python installation in the system and, insteed, it shoud have
> on its own copy of Python, avoiding any problems.

I run the same scripts and use the same libs in both plain Python and
embedded Python,
so I really don't want different installs of Python (besides it's quit
big > 100 MB)
> Giuseppe

I did some more tests, and don't know if this the minimum set,
but at least this seems to be sufficient,
both for embedded Python (without a separate Python) and plain Python,

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\PATH =
%PATH%
p:\python\lib\site-packages\graphviz-2.8-win32.egg\bin;
p:\python\lib\site-packages\swig-1.3.24-win32.egg;
p:\python\lib\site-packages\vtk-5.0.1-win32.egg\vtk;
P:\Python;
P:\Python\Scripts;
P:\Python\Tools\Scripts;
P:\Python;p:\python\lib\site-packages\mingw-3.4.5-win32.egg\bin;
p:\python\lib\site-packages\scite-1.73-win32.egg;

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment\PYTHONPATH =
<identical to PATH>

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment\PYTHONHOME =
P:\Python

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment\PATHEXT = %PATHEXT%
py;pyc

Reboot the system (seems to be essential)

Everything works as expected

thank you all for your suggestions.

cheers,
Stef Mientki