PATH or PYTHONPATH under Windows ???

Joe Salmeri JoeSalmeri at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 5 19:23:45 EDT 2007

Modify the PATHEXT environment variable to include .py;

For example the default one on Windows XP is:

    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;

Modify it so it says:

    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.py

Now you can run python programs from your cmd prompt by just typing in the
script name (with or without the .py)

Instead of adding directories to your path so that you can easily run
programs (like python)  try this instead.

Use notepad to create a file named alias.

Add lines to that file for the shortcuts you want.

For instance here is the shortcut I have for Python

p       = P:\SW\python\python.exe $*

Modify the shortcut on the start menu for the command prompt from

    %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /k doskey /macrofile=P:\SW\JoeUtil\Alias

    %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /k doskey
/macrofile=<FULLY_QUALIFIED_PATH>\alias

Now when you use that shortcut for the command prompt it will run doskey
which will load your alias file.

With the above setup you can just type p at the cmd prompt to get the
interactive python prompt.

Since I have two versions of python installed right now I have another alias
setup

pold    = P:\SW\python.2.4.2\python.exe $*

This allows me to compare differences between the two versions of python.

news:90155$4665db45$d443bb3a$16812 at news.speedlinq.nl...