The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Bjorn Borud borud-news at borud.no
Fri Jun 22 11:30:53 EDT 2007

[Kaldrenon <kaldrenon at gmail.com>]

| I don't think anyone can make the argument that any (past or current)
| graphics-based editor is as efficient when being used to its fullest
| as a text-based editor. It's basic math - it takes measurably more
| time to move a hand to the mouse, move/click the mouse, and more the
| hand back to the touch-typing position than it does to execute even a
| moderately complex series of keystrokes. Maybe not large amounts of
| time -per action-, but it doesn't take too long for it to add up if
| you spend a lot of time editing.

a lot of IDE's are getting quite good and you don't have to mouse
around all that much.  I think the main reason I stick to Emacs is
because I use it for a wider range of tasks -- not just programming.

also, the IDE's I've used in the past were sluggish and for some
reason the font-rendering was really hard to get right (if at
all). when you spend the majority of your waking hours editing text,
interactive response time and "editing ergonomics" matter a lot.

this reminds me that it is probably time to give IDEs another chance.
it has been a couple of years since the last time I tried a couple for
Java.

-Bjørn