The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Thu Jun 21 16:41:34 EDT 2007

Kaldrenon wrote:

> I don't think anyone can make the argument that any (past or current)
> graphics-based editor is as efficient when being used to its fullest
> as a text-based editor.

Actually, I think the argument can be made:

``We’ve done a cool $50 million of R & D on the Apple Human Interface.
We discovered, among other things, two pertinent facts:

    * Test subjects consistently report that keyboarding is faster than
mousing.
    * The stopwatch consistently proves mousing is faster than
keyboarding.''

(from http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Mouse_vs._keyboard/index.html )

However, at least for me, heavy mousing is stressful to the wrist, so I
prefer to keep my hands on the keyboard (even though I use a trackball,
which greatly reduces the strain for me).
I also think that while intuitive cursor positioning and text selection
operations may be faster with a mouse, complex operations (like on the
shell or complex editor commands) are impractical through a pure
point+click interface.