Python's "only one way to do it" philosophy isn't good?

Douglas Alan doug at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jun 15 16:58:56 EDT 2007

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> My only point was that Sussman is an odd person to be criticizing
> (somewhat mistakingly) Python for being minimalist.

I think that being a language minimalist is very different from
believing that there should be exactly one obvious way to do
everything.

For instance, I believe that Python is now too big, and that much of
what is in the language itself should be replaced with more general
Scheme-like features.  Then a good macro mechanism should be
implemented so that all the conveniences features of the language can
be implemented via macro definitions in the standard library.

Macros, however, are typically claimed in these parts to violate the
"only one way" manifesto.