Python in the Mozilla world

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 10:46:37 EDT 2007

--- "Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org> wrote:

> As a result, I started looking at Python generating
> JavaScript and I know there
> is pypy but is that really something one can count
> on or is it more a good
> demonstration of technology?

I would not completely give up on the idea of Python
itself running in the browser, although obviously
there have been lots of false starts.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2007_04_28.shtml#e702

Regarding using Python to generate JavaScript, I just
get nervous any time code generation happens.  While
JS is not a perfect language, it's tolerably close to
Python in lots of cases, and if you have a Python back
end, you can feed it JSON very easily from Python.

To the extent that JS code incorporates lots of
cross-platform idiosyncracies, I still think the
strategy there is to dig into JS and learn how to
encapsulate those within JS itself.

-- Steve