Thunderbird access to this newsgroup

Nis Jørgensen nis at superlativ.dk
Tue Jun 12 06:24:10 EDT 2007

Rostfrei skrev:
> Hello!
>
> I'm writing this message over Google web access. I'm trying to access
> to the comp.lang.python newsgroup trough the Thunderbird, but I just
> can't configure it properly. What is the news server for this
> newsgroup. If I ping comp.lang.python it is not resolved. For instance
> I had no problem configuring Eclipse news server. I just entered
> news.eclipse.org as a news server address and after it I can browse
> available groups.

Newsgroups are not specific to one server, they can be "carried" by any
number of servers. Most ISP's make a news server available to their
customers which carries the "standard" newsgroup hierarchy - which
comp.lang.python is part of. Try using news.<YourISP.com> as the server
name, or look at their help pages for the correct server name/setup.
There used to be quite a few free and open servers available, but I
don't know the situation today.

Many organizations keep their own newsgroup servers, which carry only
their own groups (and possibly a few relevant ones from the standard
hierarchy) - news.eclipse.org is probably such a server.

Hope this helps.

Nis