The Concepts and Confusions of Prefix, Infix, Postfix and Fully Functional Notations

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Jun 11 02:42:55 EDT 2007

Twisted schrieb:
> After all, you can't really take a language seriously if
> it's either impossible to write unmaintainable code in it

That's true for any language.
Substitute "not straightforward" for "impossible", and you have a
condition that actually distinguishes languages.

 > OR impossible to write maintainable code in it.

It is possible to write maintainable Perl.
It's just too easy to write unmaintainable Perl.
Also, a Perl "golfer" and an intermediate Perl programmer will have
quite different ideas about what idioms should be considered
maintainable. (I consider Perl's mantra of "many ways to express it" to
be a weakness, not a strength, since it lengthens the learning curve
considerably and doesn't buy much. YMMV.)

Regards,
Jo