The Concepts and Confusions of Prefix, Infix, Postfix and Fully Functional Notations

Twisted twisted0n3 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 21:29:52 EDT 2007

On Jun 10, 8:50 pm, "BCB" <b... at undisclosedlocation.net> wrote:
> I wholeheartedly agree, and did not mean to imply as much in my original
> post, in which my intent was to emphasize the fact that, until you learn the
> language, a J program /does/ resemble line noise! :-)

Eh. This isn't right. The whole discussion was supposed to have died
after the original Perl joke, certainly after the subsequent exclusion
of joke and toy languages. I think I made it clear also that an
editor's command set, Turing-complete though it may be, constitutes a
toy language. Anyway I amend the original claim to cover joke
languages, toy languages, and any write-only languages that
mysteriously aren't considered to fall into either of the former two
categories. After all, you can't really take a language seriously if
it's either impossible to write unmaintainable code in it OR
impossible to write maintainable code in it. The one is necessarily
trivial, and the other unsuitable for anything serious, except as a
machine-compiled intermediate format or a mechanism for assuring job
security.