The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Twisted twisted0n3 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 18:03:51 EDT 2007

On Jun 21, 10:52 am, Bjorn Borud <borud-n... at borud.no> wrote:
> [Twisted <twisted... at gmail.com>]
> |
> | Being beginner-friendly doesn't have to be at the expense of power or
> | expert-user usability.
>
> depends on your definition of "expert". :-)

Well, admittedly, if your definition of "expert" is "elitist pig who
considers beginner-hostileness itself to be a required feature in
order for him to regard the software as usable", then you may be
right.

That sort of negative-sum thinking is alien to me. Software being easy
for beginners to get started using does not in and of itself detract
from its value to expert users. Only if they "value" such perverse
things as "being one of the exclusive club that can actually manage to
use this thing" does any of this make sense. That's a form of
artificial scarcity, and as I think I've mentioned before, artificial
scarcity is one of the more major roots of evil.