poplib.retr doens't flag message as read

EuGeNe Van den Bulke eugene.vandenbulke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 04:14:58 EDT 2007

Hi there,

I am trying to use the poplib library to get emails using the retr
method. The small program bellow works but the message aren't flagged as
read which puzzles me. I believe the pop server is qmail 1.0.6 /
vpopmail 5.2.1 and I am running the following script on Windows using
Pyhton 2.5.

import poplib
import email

pop = poplib.POP3('mail.server.com')
pop.user('email at server.com')
pop.pass_('password')
status, msg_list, octets = pop.list()

for msg_number in [msg.split(' ')[0] for msg in msg_list]:
     status, lines, octets = pop.retr(msg_number)
     msg = email.message_from_string('\n'.join(lines))

     if not msg.is_multipart() and msg.get_content_type() == 'text/plain':
         print msg.get('Subject')
         print msg.get_payload()

pop.quit()

Why aren't the message flagged as read? Is there a way to manually mark
them read?

Thanks,

EuGeNe -- http://www.3kwa.com