poplib.retr doens't flag message as read

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Jun 19 21:37:36 EDT 2007

En Tue, 19 Jun 2007 05:14:58 -0300, EuGeNe Van den Bulke
<eugene.vandenbulke at gmail.com> escribió:

> I am trying to use the poplib library to get emails using the retr
> method. The small program bellow works but the message aren't flagged as
> read which puzzles me. I believe the pop server is qmail 1.0.6 /
> vpopmail 5.2.1 and I am running the following script on Windows using
> Pyhton 2.5.

The POP protocol has no concept of "read" or "unread" messages; the LIST
command simply shows all existing messages. You may want to use another
protocol, like IMAP, if the server supports it.

You could delete messages after successful retrieval, using the DELE
command. Only after a successful QUIT command will the server actually
delete them.

--
Gabriel Genellina