Questions about mathematical and statistical functionality in Python

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sun Jun 17 10:32:21 EDT 2007

On Fri Jun 15 03:08:08 CEST 2007, Josh Gilbert wrote:

> In a similar vein, I wish there was a reasonable Free Software equivalent to
> Spotfire. The closest I've found (and they're nowhere near as good) are
> Orange (http://www.ailab.si/orange) and WEKA
> (http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/). Orange is written in Python, but its
> tied to QT 2.x as the 3.x series was not available on Windows under the GPL.

It should be possible to get Orange working with Qt 4, which is available
under the GPL on Windows, but it could take some work to update some of the
more specialized components to use the latest classes.

On a positive note, there should be enough information available to help with
the "porting" process, and the updated components would be able to take
advantage of the improvements made to Qt and PyQt since Qt 2 was released!

David