Failing on string exceptions in 2.4

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Thu Jun 14 17:45:08 EDT 2007

Reading the Python docs, it looks like string exceptions
will be a DeprecationWarning in Python 2.5. Is there any way
to make them so in 2.4? Now how about if I want to turn all
DeprecationWarnings into compile-time errors? Is there some
way to do this?

End goal being that string exceptions would cause
compilation to fail. A few times now, I've found myself
doing

class SomeClass:
    """docstring"""
    pass

raise SomeClass, "Some description"

and I've gotten a weird compiler error about the constructor
for SomeClass. I'd prefer it just to fail there and not let
me raise an exception that isn't subclassed beneath
Exception.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org