Convert String to Int and Arithmetic

tereglow tereglow at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 10:32:41 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am a complete newbie to Python and am accustomed to coding in PHP/
Perl/Shell.  I am trying to do the following:

I have a string:

cpuSpeed = 'Speed: 1000000000'

What I would like to do is extract the '1000000000' from the string,
and divide that by 1000 twice to get the speed of a processor in MHz.

My understanding is that I need to 'import re' and then use re.split
to get the first part done.  The second part confuses me because I'm
unable to convert the '1000000000' to an integer to run division
against it.

Basically, I want to come out with 1000 for the above string.  Any
help would be appreciated.
Tom