Convert String to Int and Arithmetic

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 10:46:07 EDT 2007

On Jun 12, 9:32 am, tereglow <tereg... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a complete newbie to Python and am accustomed to coding in PHP/
> Perl/Shell.  I am trying to do the following:
>
> I have a string:
>
> cpuSpeed = 'Speed: 1000000000'
>
> What I would like to do is extract the '1000000000' from the string,
> and divide that by 1000 twice to get the speed of a processor in MHz.
>
> My understanding is that I need to 'import re' and then use re.split
> to get the first part done.  The second part confuses me because I'm
> unable to convert the '1000000000' to an integer to run division
> against it.
>
> Basically, I want to come out with 1000 for the above string.  Any
> help would be appreciated.
> Tom

You don't need to use the "re" module. I'd just do something like
this:

>>> temp = cpuSpeed.split(' ')
>>> temp
['Speed:', '1000000000']
# grab the 2nd element from the list and cast it as an integer
>>> cpuSpeed = int(temp [1])
>>> cpuSpeed = (cpuSpeed / 1000) / 1000
>>> cpuSpeed
1000

Basically, you just use the split command and cast it as an integer
using the reserved word "int".

Then you can divide it twice.

Mike