Python, Dutch, English, Chinese, Japanese, etc.

Wildemar Wildenburger wildemar at freakmail.de
Mon Jun 4 12:36:45 EDT 2007

Ross Ridge wrote:
> Translating keywords and standard identifiers into Chinese could make
> learning Python even more difficult.  It would probably make things
> easier for new programmers, but I don't know if serious programmers would
> actually prefer programming using Chinese keywords.  It would make their
> Python implementations incompatible with the standard implementation, they
> wouldn't be able to use third-party modules and their own code wouldn't
> be portable.  If novice Chinese programmers would have to unlearn much
> of they've learned in order to become serious Python programmers are
> you really doing them a favour by teaching them Chinese Python?
>
> It would really only work if Chinese Python became it own successful
> dialect of Python, independent of the standard Python implementation.
> Chinese Python programmers would be isolated from other Python
> programmers, each with their own set of third-party modules and little
> code sharing between the two groups.  I don't think this would be good
> for Python as whole.

I don't see the problem here. The bytecode wouldn't change (right?). So
what? One would have to make sure that the interprter understands both
(or to generalize: all) language versions of python and wham! There you
go. It would also be trivial to write a Chinese<->English source code
translator (for key words; anything else of course isn't that simple).

/W