Python, Dutch, English, Chinese, Japanese, etc.

Ross Ridge rridge at caffeine.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 4 13:12:07 EDT 2007

Wildemar Wildenburger  <wildemar at freakmail.de> wrote:
>I don't see the problem here. The bytecode wouldn't change (right?).

Python code generally isn't shared as bytecode and it's not just keywords
we're talking about here, all standard Python identifiers (eg. "os" and
"sys") would be translated too.

>So what? One would have to make sure that the interprter understands both
>(or to generalize: all) language versions of python and wham!

That might work, you'd need both the standard and Chinese versions the
Python standard libraries.  I doubt anyone outside of China would want
a distribution that included both, so there would still be barriers to
code sharing between the two communities.

Interestingly, someone has already created a Chinese version of Python
much like Steve Howell suggested:

	http://www.chinesepython.org/cgi_bin/cgb.cgi/home.html
	http://www.chinesepython.org/cgi_bin/cgb.cgi/english/english.html

Apparently it hasn't been updated in almost four years, so I don't know
much use it gets.

					Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU