python for EE CAD program

chewie54 dfabrizio51 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 09:35:04 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I have read some posts on this subject but I haven't been able to make
a decision whether to use Python or not.

I'm considering converting a Java CAD program to Python/C with
wxWdigets for the GUI.

I don't have good answers for:

1)  Can I use py2exe or pyinstaller to produce an executable for
Linux, Windows, and Mac?  If not,  is there a way it can be done?

2)  Is there any way to protect the source code,  like obfuscation?

3)  Memory footprint of application seems large for python demo. Is
this typical for large python applications?

I guess the best thing to do is convert a little portion of the Java
program and see how  it works out with respect to the concerns above.

Suggestions and comments appreciated.