Python changing keywords name

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Jun 26 21:17:42 EDT 2007

En Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:11:50 -0300, Sion Arrowsmith
<siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk> escribió:

> Gabriel Genellina  <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

>> (I hope nobody will abuse this technique... Y perd=F3n a los
>> hispanoparlantes por lo horrible de la traducci=F3n).
>
> Ah, I only spotted this when I came to post a response. And the
> reason I was going to post a response was that these:
>
>>    'assert': 'afirmar',
>>    'exec': 'ejecutar',
>>    'import': 'importar',
>>    'pass': 'pasar',
>>    'print': 'imprimir',
>>    'raise': 'lanzar',
>>    'return': 'retornar',
>>    'try': 'intentar',
>>    'yield': 'producir',
>
> look rather odd to this non-native Spanish speaker (or at least
> reader), and I was going to ask if they sounded more idiomatically
> correct if it's not your nth language. I guess they don't 8-)

They are... ugly, yes. If I were to choose the names in Spanish, I'd use
other words unrelated to the Python original keywords. For example, "pass"
would become "nada" ("nothing") (why was chosen "pass" in the first
place?) and "continue" would be "siguiente" ("next") and "break" would be
"salir" ("go out","quit"). "except" is hard to translate, and even in
English I don't see what is the intended meaning (is it a noun? a verb? an
adverb? all look wrong). The pair "throw/catch" would be easier to use.
And "with" would be "usando" ("using").
BTW, usage of "print" instead of "display" or "show" became obsolete 30
years ago or so...
For a "real" Python translation, new versions with new keywords are a
problem - what if "using" is added to the language and it conflicts with
the translation of "with"?
So... let's stay with the original keywords (english or dutglish or
whatever they are...)

--
Gabriel Genellina