which "GUI module" you suggest me to use?

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 11:16:18 EDT 2007

On 6/6/07, Samuel <newsgroups at debain.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:43:35 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

> >> wxPython emulates Gtk
> >
> > What?  On some platforms (Linux), wxPython _uses_ Gtk. I don't see how
> > you could say it emulates it.
>
> That may be true in some cases, but in fact, most widgets show some sort
> of difference. Take for example the HPaned - it looks totally different
> (the slider is a lot slimmer, plus moving it makes a line appear. The
> behavior is different as well).

I'm not familiar with any wxPython control called HPaned. There's a
couple different types of splitter, the Gtk native one is
wxSplitterWindow. The others are owner drawn with better or worse
native appearance. Splitters are one of those things where everyone
writes their own, like web frameworks.

> Even simple widgets show differences. Try triple-clicking into entry
> boxes, it's different from Gtk.

Text boxes are absolutely native controls under gtk.

> >> (though using some native widgets, it also uses some of its own) and in
> >> many cases it looks non-native compared to Gtk.
> >
> > How can that be the case when wxPython is using Gtk?
>
> Obviously, it does *not* always use Gtk.

It *always* uses Gtk. Some people write or use custom controls, which
may or may not have gtk native analogs. This isn't any different than
using pygtk and writing custom widgets.