The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Twisted twisted0n3 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 18:38:29 EDT 2007

On Jun 25, 5:20 pm, blm... at myrealbox.com <blm... at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> In article <1182657564.912472.55... at g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Twisted  <twisted... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 23, 10:36 am, Martin Gregorie <mar... at see.sig.for.address>
> > wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> > * The operating system where you can do powerful stuff with a command
> > line and a script or two, but can also get by without either. (Windows
> > fails the former. Linux fails the latter.)
>
> About the latter -- it's hard for me to be sure, since for many
> things something with a GUI is not my first choice of tool, but
> my impression is that on "user-friendly" Linux distributions,
> pretty much everything, including sysadmin stuff, can be done by
> pointing and clicking, starting with the menus displayed on the
> default desktop.

With the latest stuff like Ubuntu, you're pretty much right ... until
something goes wrong. Windows has safe mode and System Restore and, if
push comes to shove, a recovery disk or partition. Linux has ... the
command line, or worse a GRUB or fsck prompt at startup. No access to
accessible, easy to browse help right when you need it most.

Blow away the partition with everything on it and reinstall? y/n _

Sometimes it's not that bad. Sometimes it's just some X thing needing
tweaking, or a particular thing elsewhere that's broken, but it
requires at minimum hand-hacking a .rc file and running some stuff in
a terminal window (aka command line, but with maybe more easily
available and navigable help, since at minimum you can open two side
by side and leave one open to the output of man or less).