MoinMoin configuration

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Jun 6 09:17:57 EDT 2007

kyosohma at gmail.com wrote:

> I have read through the ACL instructions on MoinMoin's site, but I
> don't understand how to make it work. See http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnAccessControlLists
>
> To me it seems to be saying that you have to create a page before you
> can set the ACL for it. I don't want a bunch of pages where some have
> ACL's and some don't.
>
> If you can clear up my confusion, that would be great. Thanks!

Yes, it is confusing and I went to this recently myself.

in your site configuration file, wikiconfig.py, The only ACL that you should
have (for this capability) are the two below.  Before you put the acl's in
place, you need to create the page AuthorizedGroup and put your wikiname in
there.  This will make you a member of the authorized group and able to edit
that page after the ACLs are put in place.

     acl_rights_default = u"All:read"
     acl_rights_before  = u"AuthorizedGroup:admin,read,write,delete,revert"

if you wanted to make things a little more complicated and possibly secure, it
should be possible to put in a page specific acl preventing anyone from reading
"authorize groups" unless they are a member of the authorized group page and
anyone from writing unless they are you.  I would love to see if this kind of
functionality would work but I don't have the time to play around with it
(currently beating my head against flash memory and grub problems).  So if you
come up with a solution, feel free to e-mail me directly or if you have any
other questions, also, feel free to send me mail.  Might not know the answer but
at least we can commiserate.  :-)

---eric