which "GUI module" you suggest me to use?

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 10:45:48 EDT 2007

On 6/6/07, Samuel <newsgroups at debain.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 00:22:40 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> >> I know that WxPython work only under Windows and PyGTK work only under
> >> Linux...
> >
> > You 'know' wrong.
> >
> > wxPython works fine under Windows, Linux and OSX.
>
> wxPython emulates Gtk (though using some native widgets, it also uses
> some of its own) and in many cases it looks non-native compared to Gtk.
> If your target platform includes Unix systems, you'll have to decide
> whether inconsistencies with the look and feel of the desktop are an
> issue for you.

In the general case, wxWidgets wraps (not emulates) Gtk. I don't
believe that there are any common controls left which are still
emulated (maybe the list control? I'm not sure - I don't follow the
bleeding edge of wx anymore).

wxPython (as opposed to wxWidgets, the C++ core) has a sizeable
library of custom controls as part of its standard lib. Most of these
are owner-drawn for various reasons and often won't appear native
(Andrea Gavin, probably the most prolific custom control author, works
primarily on Windows).

> > PyGTK works under Linux and Windows, but doens't use native widgets
> > under Windows, so it won't look like a "normal" windows app.
>
> Gtk on Win32 can be themed to looked like Windows, AFAIK the Win32
> installer does this by default since a couple of months.

That stretches the truth rather significantly. While the win32 theme
does use the windows theme apis for drawing, it still has slightly
different colors (especially window backgrounds and menus), and (more
importantly) vastly and notably different behavior. Shortcuts are
different, renderings are different, the Gtk drawing model is used
instead of the windows one (leads to quite jarring repainting
differences), different fonts, etc, etc. It looks okay in a screenshot
but is clearly non-native and foreign in use.