The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Twisted twisted0n3 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 02:33:42 EDT 2007

That ... makes no sense. Sorry. Previously, I said:

> Being beginner-friendly doesn't have to be at the expense of power or
> expert-user usability

and you said that depended on the definition of "expert". Apparently
you believe there is a type of "expert" for whom beginner-friendly
software is intrinsically less usable than beginner-hostile software.

Given that beginner-friendliness does not preclude any kind of expert
level functionality being available (consider something configurable
enough that an advanced user can start it up and open an advanced-uses
window and immediately do advanced stuff, and a real expert can make
it start up with that window already open and focused by default), it
follows that these experts' perceptions of decreased usability are a
psychological result of simply knowing beginners can easily become
proficient in using basic functions of the software in question,
rather than a material result of some compromise necessarily made in
the software's design, as there is no such compromise that can't in
practise be avoided.

An expert who feels software is less suitable for his use *purely*
because the unwashed masses can actually use it to accomplish
something is quite obviously some type of elitist jerk.

I rest my case.