fetching text from the screen

Juergen Kareta kareta at web.de
Mon Jun 18 08:13:16 EDT 2007

Hello list,

I'm thinking about a python script which fetch some text from the screen
independent of what application provides the text on the screen. In this
regard it should be similar to the babylon software: www.babylon.com

Here my thoughts:

1) getting the mouse position
2) calculate a adequate rectangle around the mouse position
3) fetch the screen content in this rectangle
4) use a OCR library to get the text out of 3)
5) do something usefull with it.

Has someone experiences  with this task ? Is this a good roadmap or
could someone think of a better way? Which OCR library shoud I use ?
Found tesseract-ocr (linux, windows) and simpleOCR (bad, only windows
(activeX).

Thanks in advance for your replays.

Jürgen