The Modernization of Emacs

nebulous99 at gmail.com nebulous99 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 18:44:14 EDT 2007

On Jun 21, 10:48 am, Lew <l... at lewscanon.nospam> wrote:
> Bjorn Borud <borud-n... at borud.no> writes:
> >> so if the context was system administration, I'd vote for vi as
> >> well. if the context was programming I'd vote Emacs.
> David Kastrup wrote:
> > You know you can use something like
> > C-x C-f /su::/etc/fstab RET
> > (or /sudo::/etc/fstab) in order to edit files as root in a normal
> > Emacs session?
>
> I've been using emacs for something like twenty years and never knew that before.
>
> I like the built-in therapist in emacs.

I think both of Lew's sentences here speak volumes.

One about the difficulty even supposed expert users can have with
tasks and finding things out from the help system. (I take it unix has
also still not caught up to the windows world in the concept of a "tip
of the day"?)

And both of them, though especially the latter, regarding what a
feeping creature emacs is. I don't suppose there's also a kitchen sink
in there somewhere? Or is that just nethack?

PS you'll have to stop posting such a high volume here. I'm getting BS
from Google Groups about posting limits being exceeded again.
Apparently they've lowered it still further, from 25 in a 24 hour
period to 12 or so in a 24 hour period. Fuckers.