The Modernization of Emacs

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:49:22 EDT 2007

Twisted <twisted0n3 at gmail.com> writes:

> Given that in its out-of-the-box configuration it's well-nigh unusable
> without a printed-out "cheat sheet" of some kind, of the sort that
> were supposed to have died out in the 80s, getting it customized poses
> something of a catch-22 for anyone trying to get started using it.

I don't see that.  C-h t is your friend if you're starting out.  The
only keystrokes a user really needs to remember are C-x C-s and C-x C-c;
everything else simple text editing needs works as expected (arrow keys,
backspace and so forth).  Granted, text-mode is friendlier than
fundamental-mode.  Still, as a pico replacement emacs works well
enough--and as the user continue to works, he discovers more and more
functionality, eventually having a 10,000-line .emacs...

Listening to someone who brews his own beer is like listening to a
religious fanatic talk about the day he saw the light.
                --Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette, 1991