Python's "only one way to do it" philosophy isn't good?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jun 28 22:17:54 EDT 2007

Douglas Alan wrote:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
>
>> Douglas Woodrow wrote:
>
>>> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 01:45:44, Douglas Alan <doug at alum.mit.edu> wrote

>>> I apologise for this irrelevant interruption to the conversation,
>>> but this isn't the first time you've written that.  The word
>>> "chaque" is not a pronoun.
>
>>> http://grammaire.reverso.net/index_alpha/Fiches/Fiche220.htm
>
>> Right, he probably means "Chaqu'un à son gout" (roughly, each to his
>> own taste).
>
> Actually, it's "chacun".  And the "à" may precede the "chacun".
>
> |>oug

http://everything2.com/?node_id=388997 is clearly not authoritative, as
the "literal translation" about which it speaks is far from literal (it
mistakes the preposition "à" (to) for "a", the present tense of the verb
to have. I suppose the literal translation is "Each one to his own
taste". It does offer some support to my theory, however. So I'll quote
the damned thing anyway.

"chacun" is an elision of the two words "Chaque" (each) and "un" (one),
and use of those two words is at least equally correct, though where it
stands in modern usage I must confess I have no idea. The word order you
suggest would be less likely to be used by a peasant than a lawyer.
Being a peasant, I naturally used the other wording.

IANA linguist-ical-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119