SimplePrograms challenge

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 12:03:17 EDT 2007

--- Pete Forman <pete.forman at westerngeco.com> wrote:

> Steve Howell <showell30 at yahoo.com> writes:
>
>  > Feel free to change the page as you see fit,
> although thanks for
>  > discussing it here first.
>
> Done.  I've moved classes up as unittest depends on
> it.
>
> The changes that I made to classes were:
>
> 1) Use new style class.
> 2) Demonstrate Pythonic use of attribute (no
> get/set).
> 3) Pare some lines.
> --

Thanks!

Here's the link, if anybody wants to kibitz:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/SimplePrograms

My comments:

   1) I'm not crazy about having to inherit from
object for such a simple class, but I understand that
it's best practice.

   2) I'm glad you moved the class example up.

   3) The median example raises the question of what
would happen with an empty list.  I don't think it's
important to cover that case in the simple example
(it's really the responsibility of the caller IMO not
to call median with nonsense arguments), but perhaps
there is a simple way to fix this?

   4) Agreed on Pythonic use of the "balance"
attribute.