How to organize control access to source code ?

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 17 03:46:04 EDT 2007

Succelus at gmail.com wrote:
> On 16 juil, 21:10, Erik Jones <e... at myemma.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 16, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Succe... at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> How can we organize development team with code source control policy,
>>> that limit access to some portion of code ?
>> The specifics largely depend on the system(s) you're working with
>> but, basically (sic), you need to read up on filesystem level
>> permissions.
>>

> Thanks for your response,
> But I want to know if there is a process or best practices, to give
> not the access to all of the project. in other words, must every
> developer work on the entire copy of the project locally ?
>
> Or to work just on his module and manage a process of integration, and
> if there is any Agile practices for this problem.

My Understanding of Corporate Software Practices Amounts To:

Map out the whole project and divide it up, specifying the interface for
each "module"--formalized by explicit documentation. Then the individual
programmers program to the interfaces of said modules without worrying
about their implementation.

PHBs can then use threats of shooting, stabbing,
slips-of-paper-strongly-worded-with-copies-to-upper-management,
pointing-and-laughing, or sometimes even plain-ole permissions settings
to make sure no one else peeks at anyone else's code. Catbert will
mediate negotiations with the union.

James