Pickled objects over the network

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 00:09:13 EDT 2007

Irmen de Jong wrote
> In what way would Pyro be overkill where Yaml (also a module that you need
> to install separately) wouldn't be?

Sure they are the same to install and sure pyro can do the job (pyro
is a nice package).

But I got the impression that the questioner wanted to do the
networking stuff himself at a low level (using sockets) and the data
management using some available library -- pickle.

Since pickle has problems
-- does not interface well with networking
-- security issues
-- has an xml option that according to the docs is an order of magnitude slower

I thought I would point out yaml (with safe-load) which sits somewhere
inbetween the xml-pickle and the default pickle.

I should also mention here that I find yaml is much more known and
used in the ruby and perl world than in the python world.  This is
unfortunate considering that both ruby and perl have a traditional
syntax (begin end, { } etc ).  On the other hand, python and yaml have
similar modern syntactic structures -- structure follows indentation
-- and are therefore well matched to each other.

So in summary the 'competition' is not between yaml and pyro -- pyro
could easily have a pickle-using-yaml option -- but between yaml and
xml.