Pickled objects over the network

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Wed Jul 18 07:30:06 EDT 2007

Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
>  On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:57:16 -0700, Walker Lindley <brotherjenos at gmail.com> wrote:
> >I'm working on a distributed computing program and need to send Python
> >objects over a TCP socket.
[snip]
> >Hopefully I'm doing something obviously wrong, but if anyone can help based
> >on that description or if you need to see the source, please let me know
> >(it's GPL'd). Thank you so much for any help.
>
>  The obvious thing you're doing wrong is using pickle over a network. ;)
>
>    http://jcalderone.livejournal.com/15864.html

I'd say the obvious thing being done wrong is re-inventing the wheel.
Use pyro instead...

  http://pyro.sourceforge.net/

Pyro does use pickle to serialise objects by default.  It can use XML
instead for an exploit free RPC at the cost of a bit of speed.

  http://pyro.sourceforge.net/manual/9-security.html#pickle