From D

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 26 02:24:32 EDT 2007

"mensanator at aol.com" <mensanator at aol.com> writes:

> On Jul 25, 9:04?pm, Steven D'Aprano
> <st... at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> Why does it make no sense? Have you never had to scrape a web page
> or read a CSV file?

Again, unrelated to the way the Python compiler syntactically treats
the source code.

> So this proposal would only apply to string literals at compile
> time, not running programs?

Exactly the same way that it works for string literals in source code:
once the source code is compiled, the literal is indistinguishable
from the same value written a different way.

> And I want the same error to occur if my CSV parser tries to convert
> '123 456' into a single number.  I don't want it to assume the
> number is '123456'.

Once again, this is a discussion about Python syntax, not the
behaviour of the csv module.

--
 \            "I always had a repulsive need to be something more than |
  `\                                           human."  -- David Bowie |