From D

mensanator at aol.com mensanator at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 01:01:06 EDT 2007

On Jul 25, 9:04?pm, Steven D'Aprano
<st... at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:17:19 -0700, mensana... at aol.com wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 8:00 pm, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-s... at benfinney.id.au>
> > wrote:

> >> I don't see how you get that conclusion from Steven's proposal.
>
> > IDLE 1.2c1
> > ['123', '456']
>
> > The only way to get '123 456' would be to treat a space as a
> > non-delimiter. But what if those actually WERE two different numbers?
>
> That makes no sense at all. Your example is about splitting a _string_.

Why does it make no sense? Have you never had to
scrape a web page or read a CSV file?

> You can construct and split the string any way you like:

> ['123', '456']
>
> Notice that the results aren't ints, they are strings.

Duh. I took for granted you knew how to convert
an string to an integer.

> To get an int literal, you currently type something like 123456. 123 456
> is currently not valid in Python, it raises an SyntaxError. Try it for
> yourself:

So this proposal would only apply to string literals
at compile time, not running programs?

>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     123 456
>           ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

And I want the same error to occur if my CSV parser
tries to convert '123 456' into a single number.
I don't want it to assume the number is '123456'.