shutil.copyfile problem for GIS data

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Wed Jul 18 11:22:14 EDT 2007

Ahmed, Shakir wrote:
> Need help to copy a personal geodatabase from one location to another:
>

> Trying to copy a personal geodatabase from one location to another
> location where all the users are retrieving data from the second
> location:
>
> 1.	I can copy over the updated personal geodatabase to the working
> location and overwrite it, though the file is opened by ArcGIS  users
> (Local Installation of Arc GIS  on the users computers).
>

> 2.	But problem is that  I can't copy over if the same updated
> personal geodatabase to the working location,  if users uses that same
> geodatabase through CITRIX - ArcGIS ( user does not have  permission to
> edit the data)
>
> 3.	the python script which I am using as follows:
>
> import shutil
> import os
>
> src = "c:\mydata\test\mygeo.mdb"
> dst = "v:\updated\data\mygeo.mdb"
>
> shutil.copyfile(src,dst)
>
> I highly appreciate if any one of you can help me and give me a
> direction that I can solve this problem.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Shak

While I'm uncertain about the exact nature of your problem I can tell you that
the src string you have defined won't work becaust \t is a tab character.  To
make shutil.copyfile work you need to do:

src = r"c:\mydata\test\mygeo.mdb"
dst = r"v:\updated\data\mygeo.mdb"

 or

src = "c:\\mydata\\test\\mygeo.mdb"