Why PHP is so much more popular for web-development

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sun Jul 22 19:01:11 EDT 2007

SamFeltus a écrit :
> PHP is just a more inclusive community.  The PHP community is more
> concerned with the casual user and the end user.   This is PHP's core
> strength, and one of Python's core weaknesses.  The Python community
> would be wise to adopt PHP's concern for the end user.

This assertion is at least debatable. It's true that Python is not as
easy to get started withn as it was some 7 years ago, and it's true that
some of use here are probably paying less and less attention to FAQs -
but what, they are FAQs, so it should be easy to find some answers.
Still, this NG and the overall Python community are amongst the most
tolerant and newbie-friendly around. Even some of the greatest masters
here are spending time answering to 101 questions on a regular basis.

> That being said, I don't think you will find PHP easier than Python.
> I think the reverse is true, except in the simplest cases.

Mmm... I certainly do find python easier, but I'm obviously biased since
I had time to learn it and know most of the gotchas. The problem might
be very different for newcomers, specially for the
'programming-illiterate' ones. I surely spend less time checking the doc
with Python than with PHP - thanks to good design, good naming,
consistency, REPL and in the worst interactive doc, all things missing
in PHP. OTHO, PHP is so basically braindead that it doesn't requires
anyone to be able to cope with the higher-level abstractions that make
Python so powerful.