Compiling PythonD using DJGPP

John Simeon josimeon at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 13:29:37 EDT 2007

Hi there. I had an old computer at my disposal and decided to put it to use
by setting up a nostalgia project with DOS and Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

Now that all of you are back from laughing about the archaicness of the
software involved ;-) here is my problem.

PythonD is a port of python to DOS. The release used is 2.4.2. I am trying
to compile PythonD using DJGPP, which is a port of GCC to DOS.

My problem is that I am getting a compiler error that I do not understand:

gcc -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include
  -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Python/compile.o Python/compile.c
Python/compile.c: In function 'optimize_code':
Python/compile.c:512: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in
signedness
Python/compile.c: At top level:
Python/compile.c:1038: error: two or more data types in declaration
specifiers
Python/compile.c:1232: error: two or more data types in declaration
specifiers
Python/compile.c: In function 'com_addbyte':
Python/compile.c:1232: error: parameter name omitted
Python/compile.c:1241: error: expected expression before 'unsigned'
make.exe: *** [Python/compile.o] Error 1

Does anyone have any ideas that could help shed some light on this and help
me get back on track?

Thanks!