Compiling PythonD using DJGPP

memracom at yahoo.com memracom at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 15:50:14 EDT 2007

On 22 Jul, 18:29, "John Simeon" <josim... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there. I had an old computer at my disposal and decided to put it to use
> by setting up a nostalgia project with DOS and Windows for Workgroups 3.11.
> gcc -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include
>   -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Python/compile.o Python/compile.c

> Python/compile.c: In function 'optimize_code':
> Python/compile.c:512: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in
> signedness

This sounds like you are running into problems with C library memory
models on DOS. I.e. LARGE, MEDIUM, SMALL, TINY. Different memory
models use different pointer lengths and presumably, this might result
in the wrong bit being interpreted as a sign bit.

However, before you dig into that, try turning off the optimizations
( -O3 ) because this can be the cause of wierd errors. If this does
work, turn on optimization one level at a time to see how far you can
go.

And if this leads nowhere, then you probably are dealing with a DOS or
DJGPP specific issue. Ask people who work with DJGPP for advice.

Good Luck,

--Michael Dillon