Where do they tech Python officialy ?

bill.punch at gmail.com bill.punch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 12:44:55 EDT 2007

On Jul 31, 11:37 am, al... at mac.com (Alex Martelli) wrote:
> NicolasG <nicol... at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The problem is that I would like to work as a Python programmer but
> > all the job vacancies I can find requires a couple of years of
> > professional experience ... that I don't have. How a wanna be
> > programmer can start working as a programmer if there is no chance to
> > start from somewhere ? That's the reason I created this topic.
>
> Open source projects do not require previous professional experience to
> accept volunteers.  So, one way out of your dilemma is to make a name
> for yourself as an open source contributor -- help out with Python
> itself and/or with any of the many open source projects that use Python,
> and you will both learn a lot _and_ acquire "professional experience"
> that any enlightened employer will recognize as such.  That will take a
> while, but not as long as getting a college degree (and it will be far
> cheaper than the degree).
>
> Alex

Starting this Fall, Michigan State University's computer science
department is moving to Python for its introductory courses. Student's
following the ugrad curriculum will be exposed to both Python (early)
and C++ (later). We feel this gives our students the best of both
worlds: a high level scripting language that is easier to work with
and provides many modules to do actual work, and an efficient, lower
level language for speed and to interface with OS, graphics, networks
etc.

If you want more information, visit the dept. web pages at http://www.cse.msu.edu.
However, and not suprisingly, things are out of date there and will
probably not be up to date till the semester starts. So if you want
something now, please send email to "bill.punch AT gmail.com"