PEP 3107 and stronger typing (note: probably a newbie question)

Paul Rubin http
Sat Jul 21 02:40:46 EDT 2007

"Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> writes:
> > Come on, this is real-time embedded software,
> Since when did we restrict ourselves to such an environment? I was under the
> impression that this thread is about the merits and capabilities of static
> type-checking?

One branch of the discussion brought up Spark Ada, and I think the
cited article said they used the Ravenscar profile, which means
embedded applications.

> No, I don't buy that. As I said before: for the most trivial of
> tasks that might be a good thing. But I'm not convinced that
> restricting one self in such a manner for more complex tasks isn't
> going to be a better development path.

There are applications where you care first and foremost about the
reliability of the end result, and accept whatever difficulty that
might cause for the development path.  Not all programming is Visual
Basic.